Hamilton OH's North Front Street in 1875
- The "BENDING HUB & SPOKE FY." between the
Miami River and Water Street is almost certainly Benninghofen & Wuechner,
managed by Michael Wuechner
- The "SASH DOOR & BLINDS" immediately north
of it is almost certainly the factory run by Michael Eisel,
whose son Charles married August Ludeke's sister
Louise. A 1910 ad
for Charles F. Eisel's Miami Planing Mills
gave an address at Dayton and Monument Avenue—the latter being Water
Street's new name
after the Hamilton Soldiers Monument was built in 1906.
- Lot numbers don't match street addresses.
The Wuechner home at 124 North Front Street wasn't on Lot 124 (right edge of the map, east of
and north of Stable) but on the "corner of Front St. and Magnolia
St.—an alley" between Dayton and Stable (later renamed Market).
was on the
east side of Front, indicating the Wuechner house was on
Lot 120, south of the Magnolia Street alley: a short distance from the
The Ludeke "cottage" at 120 North Front was wedged in between the Wuechner
house and the carriage factory to the south.
- The Eisel family lived at 108 Dayton, little more than one
block (or "square") away from the Wuechner
and Ludeke homes, and similarly just across Water
Street from the
- Becketts Hall (corner of Second and High)
was the site of the Knights of Pythias Hall; also meeting here were the
Knights of Honor and the Wetzel-Compton
Post of the GAR.
- By 1913, the Phillips House at the corner of Front
and High would be the Hotel St. Charles, run by ex-Mayor Bosch and
Louise Ludeke's 2nd cousin Mary
Schwab Bosch; a photo of it can be found at ~stcharles. This is
where the Ludekes were headed during the Great Flood (about which see
- North Front Street has been renamed
Riverfront Plaza. The Courtyard by Marriott Hamilton hotel (previously
the Hamiltonian) is south of Dayton, facing
Magnolia—and the site of the Wuechner and Ludeke houses.
click here to
return to Fine Lineage